Re: Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Automatically create rehearsal files from SATB midi file
Date: Mon, 20 Jan 2014 09:55:12 +0100

Johan Vromans <address@hidden> writes:

> Colin Campbell <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> You're on the right track with File|New Score With Wizard. The Parts
>> tab has a section for Vocal and under it, you should choose Choir.
>> That opens a set of parameters on the right side of the panel, and
>> among them is the option to generate rehearsal MIDI files.
>
> Okay, found it. I'm gonna give this a try.
>
> Do you know why \rehearsalMidi requires the lyrics? It doesn't seem to
> serve a purpose.
>
> BTW: Whoever maintains the new score wizard: the "s1*0\f" trick to get
> the midi volume right is no longer necessary for LilyPond 2.18.

For templates, I'd strongly advise against s1*0 anyway.  Better use <>
(namely, a chord without content) which does not set the default
duration to something that will cause serious headaches when following
material relies on a default information.  For example, if you write

\new Voice << { g a b c' } { <>\f } >>
\addlyrics { Is this for real? }
you get

/tmp/rup.ly:2:17: warning: Two simultaneous lyric events, junking this one
\addlyrics { Is
                this for real? }
/tmp/rup.ly:2:14: warning: Previous lyric event here
\addlyrics {
             Is this for real? }
/tmp/rup.ly:2:22: warning: Two simultaneous lyric events, junking this one
\addlyrics { Is this
                     for real? }
/tmp/rup.ly:2:14: warning: Previous lyric event here
\addlyrics {
             Is this for real? }
/tmp/rup.ly:2:26: warning: Two simultaneous lyric events, junking this one
\addlyrics { Is this for
                         real? }
/tmp/rup.ly:2:14: warning: Previous lyric event here
\addlyrics {
             Is this for real? }

And no lyrics at all appear.  Using <> instead of s1*0 does not have the
problem.

Since a template is _supposed_ to be augmented by the user, it's better
to use elements that carry fewer surprises with them.

<> as a means to anchor events on should work for LilyPond versions
reaching back into ancient history.

--
David Kastrup