Re: [SPAM] Re: Exact stem length?

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: Exact stem length?
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2014 15:13:06 +0100

Am 26.03.2014 14:38, schrieb Piaras Hoban:
So a little more work  this morning...

I copied in David's slashStem code and it seems perfectly compatible
which is great (though it would be nice to have to option of putting the
slash at the end of the group).

Also dynamic markings and spanners are handled now.

That looks great!
Please also have a look at the snippet's location I linked to.
In the modified snippet file I have listed a number of issues
that I encountered with your previous version (when using it with
different musical contents.

Additionally I see one issue with the ledger lines in the second instance of your example

Things I'd like to add:

1) Variable horizontal distribution of stems... very useful for
indicating jeté bow markings and the like.

That would be nice. But once you'd make this variable you should have an idea how to define that. Or are you thinking of rather simple _functions_ (like "start fast and slow down")?

2) Variable vertical distribution of stems... easy to do I think.

I have several ideas about this:
- accept "music" as an argument and use the pitches as a reference
- Allow more than two notes in the "chord" and use them as intermediate
  reference points
- accept a "path" as an argument and use that (no idea how, though)

3) Slurs and articulations

It seems so easy to set beam positions outside of the function that I
haven't added it (it shouldn't be too difficult) as I tend to prefer
functions that don't have long lists of arguments which I can never
remember :)

Good point.
If I should feel the need for that regularyl it would be easy to create a wrapper function with the extra argument.

There seems to be a lot of duplication in this kind of function which
makes me feel a little like I'm reinventing the wheel... is there a
better way to harvest dynamics, articulations, markup and so on from the
input music and apply these directly to the generated music? If not
perhaps there is a better conceptual approach to take to these kinds of
problems?

Sorry, I don't have the slightest clue about this :-(

Urs

best,

piaras