Pull in external LilyPond files into a score of movements

From: Knute Snortum
Subject: Pull in external LilyPond files into a score of movements
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2014 11:54:19 -0700

Short version:  I'd like to be able to pull in (import) several external ly files into a multi-movement piece.

Long version:

I'm transcribing for Mutopia and we have several pieces where people like to download one movement from a piece.  For instance, I'm working on Mussorgsky's Pictures at an Exhibition.  Many people just want the Promenade but I don't want make people download 10-14 files to get the whole piece.  Yes, we could zip them, but they would still have to print a dozen files and there's no indication of order.

What I'm wondering is if there is some way to create a LilyPond file containing a book with several scores, where the source of the movements is an external file.  "includes" won't do.  Something like this:

\book {
  \score {
    import "./ly_files/promenade-1/promenade-1.ly"
  }
  \score {
    import "./ly_files/gnomus/gnomus.ly"

Possible?  On a wish list?  Some other way to do it?

If there's no good way to do it, I will probably write a Perl preprocessor to do it.

Knute Snortum
(via Gmail)