Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody

From: Abraham Lee
Subject: Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2014 21:39:06 -0006

On Mon, Jul 28, 2014 at 1:47 PM, Marten <address@hidden> wrote:
Dear all, Trying to typeset a song I am faced with the following problem for which I can;t find a solution in the manual or snippet repository. I kindly request your help. I'm typesetting a song with one staff, where the refrain comes first and spans multiple lines of notes; after that come 3 stanzas. I'd like the song text to be placed under the stanza melody, but I don't want to add empty lines to the refrain. I'm looking for a solution with one \score block. Can this be done? In a scetch: =====several notes, line 1 ===== Text to refrain, line 1 =====several notes, line 2 ===== Text to refrain, line 2 =====several notes, line 3 ===== Text to stanza 1, line 3 Text to stanza 2, line 3 Text to stanza 3, line 3 =====several notes, line 4 ===== Text to stanza 1, line 4 Text to stanza 2, line 4 Text to stanza 3, line 4 To me it would seem logical to change the name of the Voice in line 3, and the associate the lyrics of the stanzas with the voice name in line 3. But I don't knwo how to do this. _______________________________________________ lilypond-user mailing list address@hidden https://lists.gnu.org/mailman/listinfo/lilypond-user

Maybe not the best solution, but one that works. Use two voices on separate staves, explicit line breaks, hide empty staves:

=====voice1 notes, line1 (empty measures voice2)===== BREAK
Text to refrain, line 1 (associated with voice1)
=====voice1 notes, line2 (empty measures voice2)===== BREAK
Text to refrain, line 2 (associated with voice1)
=====voice2 notes, line3 (empty measures voice1)===== BREAK
Text to stanza 1, line 1 (associated with voice2)
Text to stanza 2, line 1 (associated with voice2)
Text to stanza 3, line 1 (associated with voice2)
=====voice2 notes, line4 (empty measures voice1)===== BREAK
Text to stanza 1, line 2 (associated with voice2)
Text to stanza 2, line 2 (associated with voice2)
Text to stanza 3, line 2 (associated with voice2)

If you use spacer notes (rests should work too) for the empty measures, then the refrain lyrics will show up only in lines 1 and 2 and the stanzas will show up with the notes in lines 3 and 4. Then the empty measures can be hidden with:

\layout {
  \context {
    \Staff
    \RemoveEmptyStaves
    \override VerticalAxisGroup #'remove-first = ##t

thus, showing only the refrain in the first two lines and the stanzas in the last two lines.

Good luck!
-Abraham