Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Multiple stanzas to selection of melody
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 07:37:45 -0700 (PDT)

Simon Albrecht-2 wrote
> Am 29.07.2014 01:28, schrieb Marten:
>> Hello Abraham, Simon,
>>
>> Thanks for your solutions and quick replies :)
>>
>> I decided to try to implement Simon's third solution, as it explicitly
>> keeps the melody of the stanzas together with their texts.
>>
>> Ingenious - hadn't thought about a solution like that.
>>
>> I have two question about it though:
>> 1. If I use \addlyrics instead of \new Lyrics for the stanzas, an ambitus
>> will be rendered for the stanza and the refrain *separately* (a layout
>> block activating the ambitus, must of course be added). If I use \new
>> Lyrics, as in your solution, only one ambitus for the entire song is
>> rendered (expected behaviour). Why is this so?
> I find the question a bit confusing. Looking at Abrahams example (in the
> answer he wrote) makes me wonder why you use separate voices for refrain
> and verse. I can’t see any necessity to do so and it contradicts the
> logic of the music: after all, refrain and stanza are not sung by
> different singers. If you use two different voices, it’s only natural
> that each gets an ambitus of its own. What would you expect?
>>
>> 2. If the stanza melody begins with a rest, the text gets aligned under
>> the
>> rest. Why?
> Please try once more to understand the difference in the mechanisms of
> my first and second examples: in the one with \addlyric, an association
> between lyrics and the voice is created and each syllable is associated
> with one note (thus, rests are skipped).
> The other way does not use direct relation between lyrics and notes:
> both are entered separately, with their own durations, and it’s up to
> you to get the alignment in time correct. Lilypond will print everything
> at the point of time where you put it, and if a rest and a lyric
> syllable come at the same point of time, they will be aligned.
> I hope you tried at least to understand the topic yourself from the
> lenghty and fully sufficient description in the manuals, to which I
> pointed you. Sometimes it takes a little time to comprehend, but it will
> save the time of the friendly persons on this list who help you with
> real problems.
>
> Best regards, Simon

Simon,

I knew I had seen this somewhere and didn't just make it up (as shown in the
official docs):

http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/solo-verse-and-two_002dpart-refrain
<http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/learning/solo-verse-and-two_002dpart-refrain>

I think your answer may still be better, by the way, in response to the
original question :)

Good work,
Abraham