Re: Automatically add empty pages at the end of a book

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Automatically add empty pages at the end of a book
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2014 17:57:25 +0100

Am 09.12.2014 17:47, schrieb Federico Bruni:
Hi all,

if I produce scores that are to be printed on double-sided, folded sheets (i.e. four A4 pages on one A3 sheet) I need to find a way to add empty pages to the end of the score.

I have one bookpart with two pages of front matter, then comes the score.
Then I need that flexible amount of 0-3 empty pages,
finally I have a last bookpart for the back cover.

How can I determine the number of pages a score has and add an appropriate number of pages to that?
(2 + 5 + N + 1) % 4 = 0
Examples:
Score has 5 pages: -> 0 empty pages necessary
Score has 7 pages: -> 2 empty pages necessary

You don't want to do this in LilyPond, right? If so, you already replied to yourself.
I did the same five years ago and the recommendation in this list was: work on A4 in LilyPond and use some external tool (can't remember which) to build the A3 pdf file. You already have the "pseudo code" to create that pdf.

Well, I don't want to do the imposition from within LilyPond, but I'd like to produce the score files directly from within LilyPond without having to run them through LaTeX first.
So I want to produce files with a number of pages that can be divided by four, and where the second-to-last page(s) are automatically inserted to make that possible.

Urs