Re: Understanding Lilypond

From: Mattes
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 16:25:18 +0100

Am Samstag, 17. Januar 2015 14:13 CET, Richard Shann <address@hidden> schrieb:

> actually, Scheme syntax is incredibly simple - Scheme expressions are
> lists (a b c) with the first element being the procedure and the
> subsequent ones the parameters. So if you come across (if a b) you look
> up the procedure "if" in the documentation, rather than having to learn
> a bunch of keywords (if, case, else ...) which have special syntax
> peculiar to them.

Hmm, as a general intro this is o.k. - but be aware that syntax is coupled with
semantics
and with Lisp/Scheme sematically differnt things do have the same (non)syntax.
Some
consider this elegant, some feel they get lost.
BTW, 'if', like 'let' or 'cond' or 'begin' etc.,  is _not_ a procedure but
either a macro or a special
operator.

> > - There are so many Scheme dialects,
>
> the only one relevant to LilyPond is the guile-1.8 interpreter. In
> Denemo we have moved on to guile-2.0 but I haven't come across other
> interpreters for Scheme, though I've noticed them mentioned in the Guile
> documentation.

Autsch. Racket, DrScheme, MIT-Scheme, Bigloo, Chicken, Stalin, ChezScheme or,
relevant
for us musicians S7 ...

 Cheers (and a happy new year)

 Ralf Mattes