Re: Understanding Lilypond

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2015 17:40:47 -0500

Hi,

> The current examples present the minimum information necessary to demonstrate
> the feature.
> This follows lilypond's approach, which is to invent everything needed that
> you didn't specify, like books, scores, staves, time signatues, clefs,
> barlines, etc.

This *is* a potential frustration.

> 1b) Add an option to toggle each example from the current, "minimal" example,
> to a "full context" example that has this inferred structure.

That would be a great solution — it might be difficult to do “automagically”,
but could certainly be done manually by an interested party.

> 2) For things that can be applied in various places (at global level, book
> level, score level, staff group level, staff level, layout, context etc.)
> provide examples for what each of these look like.  Let the user choose at
> which level the example should pertain, so they can then copy/paste the code
> applicable to their situation.

Hmmm… Given the impressive (read: daunting) size of the docs as they already
stand, I’m not sure that multiplying all examples by at least a factor of five
(my estimate for the average number of possible levels of application) is a
great idea. Certainly *one* example showing the application of the same (e.g.)
override at all possible different levels would be instructive — and hopefully
easily applied to other circumstances by the reader.

> 3a) Link from the examples in the documentation to templates (and provide
> enough templates to cover the material.)

There is a discussion currently underway about how best to provide stylesheets
and templates — feel free to join in and contribute there!

> 3b) Compile some documentation-demonstration scores made by stringing
> together the content in the existing examples, then provide links to the
> examples' usage in these reference scores.
>
> 3c) Develop a library of musical example scores and cross reference them so
> you can go from score to documentation or vice versa.

Interesting suggestions, though I don’t immediately see how to accomplish that
easily.

Thanks!
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer