Re: Understanding Lilypond

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Understanding Lilypond
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2015 17:32:25 +0100

Am 17.01.2015 um 17:22 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hi Peter,

I'm not sure that my response is suitable for the list

It *definitely* is!

Please feel free to critisize scorn or otherwise flame.

I’m sorry your default expectation is to be critisized, scorned, or flamed —
that hasn’t been my primary experience on this list (as a newbie more than a
decade ago, or since), although there are of course exceptions. (As I recall,
the lilypond-devel list is more severe.)

There are excellent aids to get one writing ly scripts and producing quite
complex scores but not to make those individual tweaks.
Looking at the various tweaks published on the list can be bewildering the
common first impression is why? how? Where was that in
the documentation?

Can you give a concrete example? Either it is in the documentation and you were
unable to find it, or it’s not in the documentation — either way, there may be
a solution which will assist future users/readers.

I think the problem is more fundamental than individual missing items.
What we'd need is something similarly slow-paced as the Learning Manual but for the Extending Manual.

In a way the tutorials in Scores of Beauty (http://lilypondblog.org/category/using-lilypond/tutorials/) are a start, but I'd always want to have more material there.

Just yesterday we had the question how to store pitches in a Scheme pair. The solution involved switching parsing modes between LilyPond, Scheme and LilyPond-in-Scheme. Such questions would really warrant tutorials, and these tutorials would actually help people get into it.

Urs

Thanks,
Kieren.