Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Grand Advanced Stylesheet Project (GASP)
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 00:05:37 +0100

Am 18.01.2015 um 20:42 schrieb Kieren MacMillan:
Hello all!

I recently sent a post about my choral piece, and had to *not* use my choral
stylesheet. Seeing what the default output looks like lit a fire under my butt
to get a stylesheet project going ASAP — I haven’t really seen a default
Lilypond score (as opposed to tiny snippets) in at least two years, and had
honestly forgotten how unelegant it looks.

My idea is that we have a basic set of stylesheets for the main types of scores
— e.g., piano solo, organ solo, instrumental solo/part, choir, full score, etc.
— which can be \include-d by the user to give a truly beautiful default
appearance right out of the box.

By way of an example, my choral_octavo stylesheet results in the attached
screenshot (which shows the top ½ of the first score page of my setting of
“When You Are Old and Grey”). To my eye, that is significantly superior to the
default output.

I realise that a lot of the final, fine-detail decisions would be subjective…
But I offer that there would be many benefits to including with the standard
distribution a well-crafted (e.g., with default fonts, better spacing
parameters, better titling options and layout, etc.) hierarchical collection of
default stylesheets that individuals could call with a simple (e.g.)

     \stylesheet “choral_octavo”

and then extend (e.g., incorporating non-standard fonts, etc.) as
needed/desired.

Would anyone be interested in working on this with me?

I definitely am.
However, I'm not sure if integrating it into LilyPond itself is necessarily the right direction. Maybe having it as a semi-official library would be more manageable?

A suggestion regarding the interface: how about

    \include "stylesheets/choral/octavo.ily"

There could be a hierarchy of different building blocks, and the actual include file would pick from them what it needs and optionally add more items to the stylesheet.

Urs

All the best,
Kieren.