Re: Introducing some 'path' drawing tools

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Introducing some 'path' drawing tools
Date: Wed, 15 Apr 2015 15:35:04 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, Apr 15, 2015 at 4:27 PM, Schneidy [via Lilypond] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Urs,

Hi Pierre,

just looking shortly at your files this seems really great!
Do you think you'd ever be able to write a blog post tutorial about this stuff?

Thank you!
Yes, my very first thought was to wright something on the blog. Time's missing but will do, promise.

And one thing I've been wondering for a while: Would it be possible to expand on this approach to create slurs with more than four control-points? I.e. more arbitrarily shaped curves?

Well, everything can be drawn so why not? I'll dig into this direction, interesting question!

While this is true, remember that you are working with drawing tools that only work up to 3rd-order curves. The trick is being able to draw arbitrary-order bezier curves with the standard 3rd-order curves using curveto or cutting the arbitrary-order bezier curves into sufficiently small linear segments using lineto that still give the appearance of a curved line (If I'm not mistaken, this is what SCORE does). It certainly is _possible_ and the methods aren't terribly difficult to follow, but may require some serious coding effort to get working as drop-in replacements. Cool idea, though!

- Abraham