Re: Survey: Large scores

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Survey: Large scores
Date: Sat, 18 Apr 2015 17:54:44 -0400

Hi Orm,

> the biggest score so far for me is a piece for big orchestra, 6
> soloists, live-electronics and fixed media from last year.

This sounds great!
Would love to see it, but the link didn’t work for me…  =\

> considering the amount of source files

Curious! For my 57-part orchestra piece, I only used one source file for the
notes, and one each for the score and part(s). How do you break up all your
files (beyond, I’m assuming, a notes-source file for each instrument), and what
do you see as the big benefit(s) of having so many source files?

> The only really painful part was the partcombiner

This is a big one for me. I would love to see — and would be happy to help fund
— a GUPPY (Grand Unified Partcombiner Project, Yay!) to tackle a rewrite from
the ground up, taking into account all the recent advances in divisi writing
(still only in openlilylib, I believe), etc.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
www:  <http://www.kierenmacmillan.info>