Re: Survey: Large scores

From: H. S. Teoh
Subject: Re: Survey: Large scores
Date: Sun, 19 Apr 2015 19:20:57 -0700

On Sun, Apr 19, 2015 at 03:12:20PM +0200, Orm Finnendahl wrote:
[...]
> Another thing: For me, also the implementation of transposing
> instruments is less than ideal (I prefer to write the pitches in
> concert pitch and have them transposed for the parts, rather than the
> other way around, as it is implemented at the moment). I would be very
> willing to sponsor this.
[...]

This is not hard to implement at all, you just have to set things up
appropriately. I also always write at concert pitch, and I use a
combination of \transposition and \transpose so that the part is printed
with the correct transposition. Here's roughly how I do it:

        clarinetIPart = \relative c'' {
                ... % clarinet music here
        }

        clarinetIIPart = \relative c'' {
                ... % clarinet music here
        }

        clarinets = new Staff {
                set Staff.instrumentName = #"Clarinets in B\flat I, II"
                \transposition bes
                \transpose bes c' \partcombine
                        \clarinetIPart \clarinetIIPart
        }

The music in \clarinetIPart and \clarinetIIPart is written in concert
pitch. Later on, \clarinets is used to create the conductor's score with
the right transpositions applied. A similar setup is used for generating
parts for the individual clarinets with the right transpositions.

Of course, all this can probably be encapsulated in a convenient macro
that takes a single argument specifying the transposition relative to
c', and generates the requisite commands to make it all work.

Why are you blatanly misspelling "blatant"? -- Branden Robinson