Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrum

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: can InstrumentName padding centered according to the longest instrument name?
Date: Mon, 11 May 2015 11:39:54 -0400

Hi Abraham,

> Fantastic work, David!

+1

> This would make an excellent addition to the core code, IMHO.

+1

> The only thing that I would further request (and this applies to
> instrumentName in general) is that the indent variable automatically adjust
> itself to be larger to compensate for names that run into the left margin
> (and sometimes off the page entirely!).

Really, “left-margin” could (should?) be from the left edge of the physical
page to the left-most bit of printed material (i.e., the left-most bit of
SystemStartDelimiter or instrument name, whichever is farthest left). Right
now, it’s “left-margin + short-indent [indent, resp.]” to the left-most
SystemStartDelimiter of the system [first system, resp.], with the instrument
name(s) added almost as an afterthought.

> It just seems like the kind of thing that should automatically happen

I could see it being VERY expensive, though: the margin could potentially
change dramatically, depending on whether a given system is on one page or
another. Think about french-ed systems, changes in shortInstrumentName, etc.

Of course, I would love to see Lilypond improved to Do The Right Thing™,
whatever we determine that to be.  =)
In the meantime, David’s excellent solution has saved me a lot of manual
tweaking to instrument names in my current engraving.

Cheers,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info