Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar

From: David Nalesnik
Subject: Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 16:52:26 -0500

Hi David,

On Wed, May 27, 2015 at 3:03 PM, David Sumbler <address@hidden> wrote:
But both of these are "work-arounds" for something which is actually
fairly normal musical notation.  They are work-arounds because one
method implies that a note is not really the length that it appears to
be, and the other method implies that the dynamics actually belong to
another, silent voice.  Neither of these is true in reality.

Actually, I think I was a little imprecise talking about attaching the dynamics to a new voice here.  I created SimultaneousMusic, rather than another Voice context.  Note that this is done commonly enough by users parameterizing their input: one variable is used to store the notes, and another to store the dynamics.

(This is not to say that there isn't some hackery at work here :) )

Ideally one shouldn't have to use trial and error, varying the length of
the second invisible rest, to get an acceptable appearance.  We know
exactly where the final dynamic should go: it should be immediately
before the bar-line.

Yes, but what of more complex examples, where a composer indicates a number of inflections on a single note?  There are a number of examples of that here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uav-OYUJ7BQ (including a simple one at the very beginning).  How else could you notate these cases without the simultaneous music approach?

Best,
David