Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: Dynamic mark at the end of a bar
Date: Wed, 27 May 2015 23:04:15 +0100

On Wed, 2015-05-27 at 22:14 +0100, Phil Holmes wrote:
> [...]

Well, I suppose that the difference logically and musically is none, if
the note is followed by a rest.  But what if it is followed by another
note?

In the example I gave there was a note lasting for one bar followed by a
one bar rest.  You are suggesting, it seems, that it would be all the
same if the dynamic indicating the level which we want the crescendo to
reach were attached to the rest in the next bar.  In theory you are
correct, but (a) I do not recall ever having seen this notation in the
62 years I have been playing music, and  (b) it is illogical to apply a
dynamic to a silence, although I admit that this objection is somewhat
academic.  However, I think that most performers would think that it
looks wrong and it is therefore possibly a little confusing.

Now consider an instance where, instead of a rest in the 2nd bar, we
have another note which needs to be played in a similar manner to the
first.  In other words, we have 2 (or more) 1-bar notes, each of which
starts at the same level (e.g. piano) and "crescendoes" to forte, say.
Each note needs a separate hairpin, with an 'f' marking at the end and,
with the possible exception of the 1st note, a 'p' marking at the start
of the note.  We would probably also put the word 'subito' or 'sub.'
after the 'p' on the 2nd note.

In this case the 'f' *must* come at the end of one bar and the 'p' at
the start of the next.  Having both at the start of the next bar would
mean something quite different: we would be indicating a 'fp' accent on
the second note.  (And if we put 'fp sub.', not only will it make no
difference but it will cause the performers to wonder what on earth the
composer meant by it.)

In the particular case I was dealing with, there is a time change at the
barline.  Having a time signature increasing the distance between the
end of one bar and the start of the next would have made idiosyncratic
placing of a dynamic at the start of the next bar (which only contains a
whole bar rest) look even more weird than it would otherwise.  And
supposing that there is a line-break, or even a page-break at this
point?  That would look even more peculiar.  In conventional music I
have never seen a dynamic applied to a rest, so far as I can remember.

In any case, this is all rather academic: the convention, in my
experience, is that the destination dynamic in these cases is printed
before the barline.  I don't think anyone would think that notating
music in an unconventional manner because the software makes it easier
to do it that way is a good idea.

David