Re: Repeat with alternatives

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: Repeat with alternatives
Date: Fri, 2 Oct 2015 13:27:26 -0500

Quoting Johan Vromans (address@hidden):
> On Thu, 01 Oct 2015 19:41:21 +0100
> Anthonys Lists <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Anyways, I think we've all missed the OPs problem. As he phrased it, I
> > understand he wants
> >
> > {fixed part 1} {alternative 1} {alternative 2} {fixed part 2} repeat
>
> I'm not familiar with a clean notation for the above.

Nor me. It would usually help if the OP could post an example of what
they wanted, either published or cobbled together.

> For the normal repeat, with alternative endings, this would be
>
>    |: fixed part 1 |1 alterrnative 1 :|2 alternative 2 |
>
> Would this be understood by the average musician?
>
>    |: fixed part 1 |1 alterrnative 1 |2 alternative 2 | fixed part 2 :|

Understood? Well "my" attached "partial solution" (which I've
completed only by using inkscape) would be understood in such a small
piece. If it ran over several pages, then perhaps not. But even then,
it couldn't be misunderstood upon reflection, because all its elements
are used in a completely conventional manner. The only unusual thing
is seeing no :| at the end of closed volta brackets (because you don't

Liked? Don't know. What do people think?

Useful? Well, it's funny how a piece immediately pops up that could
benefit from such a construction. I'm looking at a copy of "When rooks
fly homeward" by Arthur Baynon. It's a piece with two verses of 9 bars
each, where the music for each verse is identical apart from the fifth
bar whose rhythm is 8 4 8 4 4 and then 4 8 8 4 4.
If I were asked to produce a copy on two staves for an accompanist
(something I have often done), it would be an ideal candidate for this
construction, though I certainly would not use half-bars.
(But as it is, it's simple enough for most choirs to sight-read with
no accompaniment, but for one soprano typo in that 84844 bar.)

Cheers,
David.