Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: [OT] Printer with or without Postscript
Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2015 10:39:35 +1100

Hi Philippe,

It is of virtually zero concern nowadays. Whatever page description language
your printer uses internally, the printer driver software on your computer will
convert your file to that language format and print it. The drivers are quite
sophisticated nowadays. It would be very hard to determine from looking at an
average printed page with the naked eye whether the printer used Postscript or
not. Some people claim they can tell, but for music engraving, with a good
printer, I doubt it.

In the old days a program would produce Postscript output, and send it direct
to the printer which would render it, having a Postscript interpreter raster
image processor (RIP) chip built in (the chip being how Adobe made a great deal
of money). Worked fine. Commercial shops used to have 19 inch racks of RIP’s to
do colour separations. Now, it is all a lot simpler from the end user point of
view.

Postscript itself is still highly relevant, PDF is essentially a  Postscript
description, and lilypond can generate postscript, which is rendered wth
Ghostscript - a software RIP. Postscript is by no means obsolete. Just don’t go
concerning yourself too much trawling through printer technical specifications
to find one that speaks Postscript to print music.

I remember programming Postscript directly to an Apple Laserwriter using a
serial cable. (Remember serial cables?). Fun. Now you can do the same with
Ghostscript, and save a lot of paper!

Andrew