Repeat 8va

From: John Gourlay
Subject: Repeat 8va
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 17:08:30 -0500

As an exercise in learning to use LilyPond I’m engraving “The Entertainer” by Scott Joplin. In the old published version I’m working from (1902), the score looks like this at measure 22:

I’m concerned about the “Repeat 8va”, which I assume means that on the second repetition of this section it should be played an octave higher than the first time. Do you know how to make this happen in LilyPond? I can easily make the LilyPond output simply say “Repeat 8va”, but I’d really like LilyPond to know about the octave change, so the midi output of the second repetition is played in the correct octave.

John Gourlay