Re: Repeat 8va

From: Christopher R. Maden
Subject: Re: Repeat 8va
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 16:16:15 -0600

On 01/08/2016 04:08 PM, John Gourlay wrote:
As an exercise in learning to use LilyPond I’m engraving “The
Entertainer” by Scott Joplin. In the old published version I’m
working from (1902), the score looks like this at measure 22:

I’m concerned about the “Repeat 8va”, which I assume means that on
the second repetition of this section it should be played an octave
higher than the first time. Do you know how to make this happen in
LilyPond? I can easily make the LilyPond output simply say “Repeat
8va”, but I’d really like LilyPond to know about the octave change,
so the midi output of the second repetition is played in the correct
octave.

Generally, once you get into any kind of moderately complicated score, you have to concoct your score and MIDI separately, e.g.:

theTune = c c c c

theScore = \repeat volta 2 { \theTune }

theMidi = \theTune \transpose c c' \theTune

\score{ \theScore \layout{} }

\score{ \theMidi \midi{} }

I like to use \articulate in the MIDI block, too, for instance.

~Chris
“If you’ve been a man o’ action, though you’re lying there in traction,
 You will gain some satisfaction thinkin’, ‘Jesus, at least I tried.’”
  — Andy M. Stewart (1952–2015), “Ramblin’ Rover”