Re: Repeat 8va

From: mskala
Subject: Re: Repeat 8va
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 2016 00:54:27 -0600 (CST)

On Fri, 8 Jan 2016, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > It's a shame that LilyPond's requirement to completely evaluate music
> > expressions immediately, and therefore once and for all, forces this
> > kind of thing on us.  The natural thing to want to do would be to have

> This is not really true. What I usually do is something like this:

>                       \tag #'midi { a8 r b r c r }
>                       \tag #'layout { a4-. b-. c-. }

> The \tag #'layout and \tag #'midi lines basically behave like an if
> (MIDI) block. This lets you intersperse layout-specific and
> midi-specific stuff in the same place, so that you don't forget to
> update one after editing the other.

I've had trouble getting that to work in more complicated situations, such
as when there's nesting involved.  If I want a few notes different inside
\foo (for instance, because of needing to split them into separate voices
for typographical reasons while keeping them in a single voice for MIDI)
but then I want to either repeat \foo in a volta for print, or write out
the repeat to transpose one of them, then using the same tag for both
conditionals is a problem.  That can be worked around in turn by using
more tags, but the complexity steadily increases, and all of it is work I
think the computer should be doing, not the human.

--
Matthew Skala
address@hidden                 People before principles.