Configuring beam count at subdivisions

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Configuring beam count at subdivisions
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 2016 17:32:59 +0100

Hi again,

some aspects of the discussion about beaming made me realize again that
we shouldn't always/only look for "the" solution but rather provide the
choices and set a sensible default. And this is probably true also for
the beam count at subdivisions.

Earlier (up to ca. 2.19.20) LilyPond always returned one beam at a beam
subdivision.
After that the beam count at subivisions were governed by their metric
position (which had been my first request).
Later this was modified again, and the beam count was goverend by the
baseMoment property (i.e. when baseMoment was set to 1/16 all
subdivisions got two beams. (This is the state in 2.19.34).
2.19.35 shows the behaviour of >2.19.21 again.

Today I realized we should provide all of these options and set the
"metric position" approach as the default.
The attached image shows three renderings of a phrase, with
subdivideBeams set to true and baseMoment set to 1/16.

The first line is the default result,
the second with \set subdividedBeamCount = #'base-moment
and the third with \set subdividedBeamCount = #'one

This gives arguably the best option as default and still gives
Sibelius-converts the chance to redo their familiar shortcomings ;-)

Opinions?

Best
Urs