Re: attachments and digest mode

From: Flaming Hakama by Elaine
Subject: Re: attachments and digest mode
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 11:26:17 -0700

This thread is dying a quick death.  I have raised this issue with the nonsensical digest attachments several times in the last several years.  Those threads also died a quick death.  I wonder how many get the Lilypond user list via the digest rather than as individual emails.  I would guess maybe 4 or 5 get the digest, or else this issue would get at least a little attention.

Another theory is that most people post code inline, so the use of attachments is a marginal practice in general, and therefore not worth the effort.

I certainly ignore messages that have code only in attachments.  Of course, that is by necessity since I can't access these attachments.  But I don't feel like I've been left out of much follow-up discussion on that basis, since it seems like most replies are inline.

In most cases, I assume attachments are used because the poster has not bothered to create a minimal example.  Because if they did, it would be easier to include the code as part of their actual message.

(Of course, there are some cases where attachments are more appropriate.  But there are workarounds--you can always just ask the poster to resend you the attachments in a private email if you feel compelled to help out.  So, this issue is not a deal-breaker for me.)

Did you succeed in copying David Linn?  Did you get a response?  I don?t think he?s responded on the list.  Do you know any powers that be at gnu.org that are a little lower in the hierarchy?

I have not made any attempts to contact anyone specific.

My assumption is that anyone managing a list also reads it.  If not, the list needs a new or additional manager, or a liaison.

David Elaine Alt
415 . 341 .4954                                           "Confusion is highly underrated"
address@hidden
self-immolation.info
skype: flaming_hakama
Producer ~ Composer ~ Instrumentalist