Re: attachments and digest mode

From: David Wright
Subject: Re: attachments and digest mode
Date: Thu, 5 May 2016 22:49:46 -0500

On Thu 05 May 2016 at 11:26:17 (-0700), Flaming Hakama by Elaine wrote:
> > This thread is dying a quick death.  I have raised this issue with the
> > nonsensical digest attachments several times in the last several years.
> > Those threads also died a quick death.  I wonder how many get the Lilypond
> > user list via the digest rather than as individual emails.  I would guess
> > maybe 4 or 5 get the digest, or else this issue would get at least a little
> > attention.
>
> Another theory is that most people post code inline, so the use of
> attachments is a marginal practice in general, and therefore not worth the
> effort.

"Inline" is an ambiguous term. I understand that you probably mean
%%%%%
%{ an inline example %}
%%%%%

but there's a more "interesting" meaning in this discussion which is
where people post an inline image in their HTML code. These are not
displayed to people reading emails as text, not are they accessible to
people reading the digest (unless they're using Carl Sorensen's
"special mode" on Outlook).

> I certainly ignore messages that have code only in attachments.  Of course,
> that is by necessity since I can't access these attachments.  But I don't
> feel like I've been left out of much follow-up discussion on that basis,
> since it seems like most replies are inline.
>
> In most cases, I assume attachments are used because the poster has not
> bothered to create a minimal example.  Because if they did, it would be
> easier to include the code as part of their actual message.

Well, the last attachments I sent were fairly close to minimal for the
problem in hand (making LilyPond run the python interpreter to write LP
code which LP immediately interprets in the same run).