Re: Unknown marking in Roman print (1710)

From: Richard Shann
Subject: Re: Unknown marking in Roman print (1710)
Date: Sun, 22 May 2016 08:41:22 +0100

On Sun, 2016-05-22 at 11:42 +1000, Andrew Bernard wrote:
> Can you give a bit more context? What instrument?
I gave a link to a scan of the original print, but here is a link to the
page where there is a choice of 80Mb or 4.5Mb scans of the print.

http://imslp.org/wiki/12_Recorder_Sonatas,_Op.3_%28Valentine,_Robert%29

Having tried the sonata out, I'm still none the wiser. Looking more
widely, I see it occurs five times in the Allegro movement of Sonata 1,
then twice more in the Gavotta and once in the Gavotta of Sonata 2,
three times in Sonata 3 and so on.
Attached is a part of sonata 9 and here I detect a sort of progression
from the first trill sign, quite distinctly "t." to the "E" at the end.
So perhaps it is, after all just the edges of a block for "t." catching
the ink, which Frauke Jurgensen reported is what it looked like viewed
on a mobile phone...

Thanks to you both!

Richard