Re: OT: high-precision tuner app

From: Jacques Menu Muzhic
Subject: Re: OT: high-precision tuner app
Date: Thu, 26 May 2016 17:40:28 +0200

> Le 26 mai 2016 à 09:57, Michael Hendry <address@hidden> a écrit :
>

> I seem to have struck an interesting chord, here!
>
> Another phenomenon about which I have doubts involves people who claim that
> when they hear music in “sharp” keys (e.g. G, D, A, E) their experience is of
> brightness, while the flat keys make for a more sombre sound. I’ve even heard
> in a radio interview that this applies to F# and Gb (the one bright, the
> other dull).
>
> Michael (lighting blue touch-paper and retiring to a safe distance).

My bassoon teacher told me the same, and in particular that D major is the
brightest key on our instrument (440). So I asked whether it’s E flat major on
the baroque instrument (415).

And the answer is no, it’s D major too, because that phenomenon is relative to
the instrument size, not absolute.

JM