Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox

From: David Sumbler
Subject: Re: No readline in scheme-sandbox
Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2016 16:00:04 +0100

On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 13:59 +0100, David Sumbler wrote:
> On Wed, 2016-10-19 at 11:34 +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> >
> > David Sumbler <address@hidden> writes:
> >

> > > Given that, on my 64-bit Linux system, I have Guile 1.8 installed
> > > complete with readline, I'd be very grateful if somebody could
> > > explain
> > > to me how I can get readline to load when I type 'lilypond
> > > scheme-
> > > sandbox' with Lilypond v.2.19.40 .
> > Did you compile LilyPond yourself?
> (There is an error in my previous email: I have Lilypond v.2.19.48)
>
> I downloaded lilypond-2.19.48-1.linux-64.sh from http://lilypond.org/
> de
> velopment.html and then ran
>
> sudo sh ./lilypond-2.19.48-1.linux-64.sh --doc
>
> David

Sorry to keep banging on about this, but I can't help feeling that
somebody must know the answer!

My .guile file reads:

(use-modules (ice-9 readline))
(activate-readline)

I find the following:

1)

If I run 'lilypond scheme-sandbox' I get a message saying:

/usr/local/lilypond/usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/scheme-
sandbox.ly:3:2: error: GUILE signaled an error for the expression
beginning here
#
 (load-user-init)
readline is not provided in this Guile installation

In 'top' I can see that the actual running command is
'/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox'.

2)

If I run '/usr/local/lilypond/usr/bin/lilypond scheme-sandbox' directly
from the command line, I get guile complete with readline.

This doesn't actually matter too much now that I have discovered that
the longer form of the command works as expected, even though the
shorter one doesn't.

But how is it that I get different results from two command line
entries which end up running the same actual command?

David