Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond

From: Wols Lists
Subject: Re: Which Linux distro for Lilypond
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 2016 10:15:08 +0000

On 24/12/16 09:11, Knut Petersen wrote:
> Am 24.12.2016 um 04:06 schrieb Craig Dabelstein:
>> Hi Lilyponders,
>>
>> Just a quick question. I'm taking the plunge and moving to Linux.
>> Which distro would you recommend for running Lilypond and Frescobaldi?
>
> OpenSuSE, I'd recommend to use the Tumbleweed variant. It's a good
> distribution, and a nice feature for
> developers is that it allows easy parallel installation of guile 1 and 2.

Unfortunately, as always, there are trade-offs. I'm a SuSE guy myself
(back from SuSE 5.4 days iirc the version correctly!), but I've had a
fair bit of trouble with SuSE and lilypond.

I need VirtualBox, which Tumbleweed explicitly does NOT support, and my
systems now run gentoo - precisely because I could not get the then
latest lilypond to install on the then latest SuSE :-(

(Plus 42.2 doesn't seem to like my laptop that much :-(

That said, I would not recommend gentoo to a linux noob - not unless
they're a masochist or desperate for punishment. It's a great distro,
and a great teaching distro, but you hardly have time to get started
before you start hitting cliffs in the learning curve!

Cheers,
Wol