Re: pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: pushing items "through" or "beyond" other contexts
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2017 12:56:13 -0400

Hi all,

To clarify/expand:

> That being said, I was (am still?) hoping for a more robust and extensible
> solution: in the real-world situations I'm looking at, this method/mechanism
> either won't work at all, or at the very least would seem to be a coding,
> reusability, and maintenance nightmare.

In my first post, I said

> As one (obvious) example, say I start with [this dynamics thing]

What I *eventually* hope to do is have/build a method to easily push note
columns, markup, lyrics, etc. around an entire system. Some examples:

1. If one lyric needs to sit on top of a choral staff (becuase of a voice
split), I want to define it in the main Lyrics context and just "pop" it above
the staff for that one moment (while another lyric might simultaneously appear
on the main lyric line). Right now, I need to define a whole separate Lyric
context, keep it alive (with spacers), etc.

2. In my musical theatre works, I have a custom TextLine context (containing
stage directions). Generally, this sits just above the top staff of a system.
Depending on the situation, tempo marks (which I always keep in a custom
ScoreMarks context) might be above the TextLine contents, or they might be
below.

3. Another related thing (though not exactly the same issue as above) would be
to have "cross-staff" stuff jump across multiple staves, or have "connective
tissue" (e.g., glissando, arrows) between notes in one staff/context and notes
in another one (possibly not adjacent).

etc. etc.

Any thoughts (even off-list!) on how to best accomplish all of these things —
hopefully with a single, fairly concise mechanism — would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer
‣ website: www.kierenmacmillan.info