Re: Made In The Pond™ update

From: Kieren MacMillan
Subject: Re: Made In The Pond™ update
Date: Mon, 30 Oct 2017 14:08:02 -0400

Hi Joram,

> I like very much what Lilypond offers by default.

I think Lilypond's defaults are okay — certainly, I prefer them to those of
Finale and Sibelius (note: I haven't seen a default Dorico document) — but they
can, in my opinion, be improved significantly. If I can get to the point where
I feel my stylesheets can be "downported" to default tweaks that I would feel
comfortable submitting as a patch, I will do so.

> And I have my own styles and tweaks to get what I consider more beautiful.

Beauty and style is, to a great extent, purely subjective.

> But your scores look so much better!

I appreciate the kind words. I'm getting close to a housestyle I feel very
proud of.

> The choice of fonts is surely one part (music and text fonts).

Absolutely. Moving to [Abraham Lee’s] Cadence as my music font was a huge step
forward for my housestyle. And I'm getting very close on the text fonts as well.

> And then there are probably tweaks for spacing/positioning etc.

These are critical.

> What would you call the most important tweaks.

That's a tough question… I think the secret to my engraving success (such as it
is) is a combination of a few critical spacing tweaks (both horizontal and
vertical), and a liberal use of the edition-engraver to take each score to the
goal line.

> Or would you say it's not so much general tweaks but more often
> the specific situation in a score that require particular tweaks?

The general tweaks make every score look better than Lilypond default.
The specific tweaks make each score look better than that.
=)

Best,
Kieren.

Kieren MacMillan, composer