lout-users

Re: Formatting in table going wrong?

From: Dave Baldwin
Subject: Re: Formatting in table going wrong?
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2007 11:00:27 +0100

On 24 Apr 2007, at 21:15, Jeff Kingston wrote:

Dave Baldwin wrote:

The text and resulting ps file enclosed.

Your example used @LLP but the question was about what happens
when you use @LP.  However, I replaced your @LLP's with @LP's
and there was indeed still the same problem.  I had forgotten
another change I make, which was to use the format

    @Cell @OneRow C

(in combination with other things as usual) when the table
entry has multiple paragraphs.  However, even when I did
that the first @LP was wrong, although the second was right.
I had to resort to magic, finally getting it to work by
inserting ^// as the very first thing inside the entry:

   @Rowb
 A {2}  B {30Jan07}   C { @OneRow {
^//
Hooked up...
}

which is ridiculous of course.  I will look into fixing it for
the next release.  I'm still wondering how it managed to lurk
for so long.

I am happy to build a debug build and send a trace...

No need for this, the problems have been quite repeatable here.

[ letting Lout choose the width of one column while trying
to ensure that all tables get the full page width doesn't
work ] if there isn't enough text in the column to force
the table to expand to the width of the page.

True; but you could use @HExpand in the format to solve this.
It would have the advantage of allowing your tables to exactly
fill the available width.

I like this idea but the only place I can find to use it is on the text entry for one of the columns. I would prefer to be able to use it somewhere in the row format definition but I cannot find anywhere that doesn't give an error. Am I missing something here?

Thanks,

Dave.

Jeff