lwip-devel

[lwip-devel] [task #14724] thread safe ARP cache APIs

From: Simon Goldschmidt
Subject: [lwip-devel] [task #14724] thread safe ARP cache APIs
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 2017 13:45:27 -0500 (EST)

Hmm, to me, everything but sockets and the like (e.g. netdb, if_api) is meant
to use lwIP structures (e.g. ip_addr_t, struct eth_addr, etc). In this
context, a netif is identified by its struct netif.

Netif indices are used on a level above this. It's OK to write applications on
that level, but I don't want to add functions supporting the highest API level
only, leaving out the middle.

We've had that already and people are coming and asking how to do this and
that at netconn level. We then see that things are implemented at socket level
and raw level but not at netconn level. As long as we support the netconn
level (i.e. threaded, lwIP-specific API), we should do it correctly.

I thought of doing something like
'netifapi_arp_add(netifapi_get_netif_by_index(0), ipaddr, ethaddr)', but that
would introduce a race if a netif is removed. We'd probably have no choice but
to add both functions.

Given that, we probably should leave out the netif pointer altogether for now,
since it's not used right now, anyway. Or do you need it?

  <http://savannah.nongnu.org/task/?14724>

  Message sent via/by Savannah
  http://savannah.nongnu.org/