lwip-users

Re: [lwip-users] testing lwIP with Contiki?

From: Richard Barry
Subject: Re: [lwip-users] testing lwIP with Contiki?
Date: Thu, 10 May 2012 13:15:16 +0100

On 10/05/2012 12:53, Pomeroy, Marty wrote:
> Priyanka
>
>>> Any idea if lwIP TCP/IP stack is TCP-friendly?
>
> Is that the question you meant to ask?  Or perhaps "Contiki friendly"?
> Ansering the question I think you meant...
>
> lwIP is OS independent, so there is no reason it would not work with
> Contiki.  However you may find it tough with an MSP430, since Contiki
> and uIP are targeted to those really tiny footprints.  lwIP is moderate
> in size.
>
> Typically if you need a more full-featured comm package (like lwIP), it
> is for a more complicated stand-alone app/system.  A simple app on a
> tiny processor is typically part of a larger system, and needs just bit
> of code to send an occasional tiny packet of data (probably UDP), with
> the processing of that data and the real intelligence built into the
> part of the system that receives that data.  An example would be a
> central PC running a building HVAC system, with dozens of remote sensors
> (maybe MSP430's) sending raw data.
>
> Hope this helps!

Just to concur, that lwIP will run without an RTOS, meaning it will run
with any RTOS just by keeping the code in a single task.  The RTOS
porting layer is quite simple too, so I can't imagine there will be any
RTOSes that it won't work with.

That said, personally I would not use it with an MSP430.  I have done
similar projects using external interface, like the WizNET parts, where
you get TCP/IP on a dedicated chip with a simple I2C interface.

Regards,
Richard.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org
Designed for microcontrollers.  More than 7000 downloads per month.

+ http://www.FreeRTOS.org/trace
15 interconnected trace views. An indispensable productivity tool.