maposmatic-dev

Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem

From: David MENTRE
Subject: Re: [Maposmatic-dev] A proposal to solve the translation problem
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 17:50:35 +0200

Hello,

To continue this discussion, it has been privately suggested to put
ocitysmap.conf content in a .py file (e.g. __init__.py). That way we
could easily integrate stylesheet names into the set of strings to
translate.

One counter argument is that ocitysmap.conf is a configuration file,
that can be tweaked by the "user". Considering that installation of
maposmatic is fairly complex and that we are using a scripting
language, it does seem reasonable to me to tweak a Python file than a
configuration file.

Moreover, as the names of the style sheets need to be translated,
translations that we provide with our code, i.e. with the source, the
argument that ocitysmap.conf is a configuration content is more and
more weak to me.

Overall, I would:
  * Put content of ocitysmap.conf into a Python file, with appropriate
translation markers;

  * Update INSTALL so that the needed external style sheets
(mapnik-osm, MapQuest*) should be installed somewhere and pointed to
in ocitysmap installation through a *well defined* (e.g. mapnik-osm,
MapQuestEU, MapQuestUS, MapQuestUK) symbolic link into stylesheet/
directory.

If at one point we need another style sheet, we will update both
Python file and README accordingly. We can also document how to add a
style sheet in a documentation file or on the wiki.

Best regards,
david