[Mingw-cross-env-list] Static library support for GTK+

From: Volker Grabsch
Subject: [Mingw-cross-env-list] Static library support for GTK+
Date: Tue, 22 Sep 2009 15:54:34 +0200

Dear mingw-cross-env users,

thanks for stating your opinion. There is a lot more interest in
static libraries than I thought. In particular, there seems to be
a consensus that we should do some investigation on:

>     (A) Fix GTK to find their symbols in (statically linked) EXE files.

I just had an email conversation with Tor Lillqvist, the main
maintainer of the GTK+ stack for Windows, who showed some interest
in applying compatibility patches for GTK+. So we should be able
to fix the problems at their root.

Note that there are two things to be done here:

    1)  Convert the existing mingw-cross-env workarounds for GTK+
        (see atk.mk, glib.mk, gtk.mk, pango.mk) to clean patches.

    2)  Fix the remaining problems such that GTK+ works for more
        than simple "Hello, World!" applications.

Regarding 2), we should collect concrete problems. If your are
interested in cross-compiling a GTK+ app, please reduce that code to

    *)  a minimal source file that works with the shared GTK+
        libraries but fails with the static ones.

As soon as you have done that, we can concentrate on 1) and 2).

Greets,

    Volker

--
Volker Grabsch