Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3

From: Gerardo Ballabio
Subject: Re: [Mingw-cross-env-list] gtk3 and gtkmm3
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 2015 22:37:15 +0200

Nobody has bothered to build gtk3 for years, and now we're two in the same week. That's great :-)

The pull request adds a higher version of gtk3 than mine. If it works, you should pull it. I'll try building it and will let you know.

It doesn't include a test program though, so you can add mine. And it doesn't include gtkmm3. You may add my files for that, or we may upgrade the files to build a version aligned with gtk3. I'll try that too.

I could not reproduce the Pango issue. It has always built fine for me. Today I tried building from a clean install of MXE and again it worked. I can't debug an issue that I can't reproduce.

Since you now managed to build gtk3 and gtkmm3, you must have built pango as well, so I suppose your failed attempts had been caused by the missing dependency. That's unrelated to the reported issue, which is a linker error on some missing symbols from libfontconfig. Have you actually reproduced the linker error? Has anyone else? If not, I suspect the problem may be caused by a broken build of libfontconfig on the reporter's system. My first suggestion then would be to ask the reporter to restart from a clean install and try again.

Regarding your suggestion to build native gdk-pixbuf, I don't think we should do that. In order to build it we must first build all its dependencies (and instruct the dependent packages to find them, as they would be installed in a nonstandard place). So that means patching many packages, with patches that we'd have to maintain forever, and that haven't any actual purpose except to avoid installing gdk-pixbuf, which many people will have installed already. It's so much cleaner and easier to just add the needed requirement. I understand the desire to keep the list of requirements to a minimum, but if a package is indeed required, it is a requirement. There are already other requirements that are only needed by specific sets of packages, for example I don't think that every package needs python, ruby and cmake. If you wish, you may add a note to the list of requirements that gdk-pixbuf is only needed if you want to build gtk packages.

Gerardo

On Sat, Aug 29, 2015 at 12:10 AM, Nagaev Boris <address@hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2015 at 9:57 PM, Gerardo Ballabio
> <address@hidden> wrote:
>>> I will help you with git and github
>>
>> Thank you very much.
>>
>>> It worth finding all these packages and adding them to MXE
>> requirements
>>
>> The Debian devel package for gdk-pixbuf is libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev. I'd suggest
>> that you install that to begin with. Hope that's enough, if not let me know.
>
> I have installed libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev and gtk3 and gtkmm3 build now!
>
> The following remains to be done:
>
>  * find names of similar package (gdk-pixbuf) in other distributions
> (Fedora, FreeBSD, Frugalware, Gentoo, Mac OS X, openSUSE) and add it
> to corresponding sections of index.html
>  * alternative way of getting native gdk-pixbuf is building it in
> src/gdk-pixbuf.mk . Is it possible to build "own" native gdk-pixbuf
> and use it in gtk3? It would be better to avoid new external
> dependency (Debian package libgdk-pixbuf2.0-dev)
>  * split this patch to: (1) pango, (2) glib and (3) gtk3/gtkmm3. For
> (1) and (2) more details about goals are needed
>  * make sure pango is fixed. See linking error
> https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/804
>

>> Gerardo

Gerardo,

there is another pull request [1] adding gtk3 to MXE, Can you revise
it? Your files differs from the files from the pull request. Probably
better package can be produced by incorporating your changes and
changes from the pull request.

And the problem of unstable build of pango remains [2]. Probably
whether pango builds successfully depends on which packages are
already built. If this is the case, these packages should be
identified and added to pango's dependencies.

[1] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/pull/795
[2] https://github.com/mxe/mxe/issues/804

--

Best regards,