Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc
Date: 27 Jul 2002 15:59:56 +0200

address@hidden (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Goswin Brederlow <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Allan Joergensen <address@hidden> writes:

> > Just upload them and the autobuilder will build it for all archs.
>
>   Huh??!
>
>   Just in case you didn't know, building mldonkey requires a patched
>   version of the OCaml compiler. So, unless the OCaml compiler gets
>   patched (which is not likely to happen), I don't see how proper
>   packages can be built by our autobuilders.
>
>   I guess Allan built packages that are meant to stay 'unofficial'.

Adding the patch to ocaml so that it builds a ocaml-patched.deb or
smething that contains the patched binaries and depends on the normal
ocaml.deb should be easy to do. Getting the patch into mainstream
should be the goal for the future.

Also if autobuilding fails there are usually enough volunters to build
or the package is not realy used.

Apart from that, since the donkey protocol is not DFSG free anyway,
mldonkey should come in two flavours. One without donkey support in
main and one with in non-free. Only the later one would need the
patched compiler.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: Too bad theres no "Build-Depends-Sources: ocaml" possible so that
mldonkey could patch the source, build ocaml and compile itself with
that.