Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc

From: Goswin Brederlow
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] OCaml patch / Debian packages / etc
Date: 28 Jul 2002 10:23:12 +0200

address@hidden (Jérôme Marant) writes:

> Goswin Brederlow <address@hidden> writes:
> > Apart from that, since the donkey protocol is not DFSG free anyway,
> > mldonkey should come in two flavours. One without donkey support in
> > main and one with in non-free. Only the later one would need the
> > patched compiler.
>
>   DFSG are about software, not about protocols or algorithms. The
>   EDonkey support in mldonkey is free software so it has nothing
>   to do with non-free.

Firstly there is the source problem: No source, no go. So the edonkey
protocol has to go to non-free (in its current form).

>   The main question is about whether anyone has the right to
>   reverse-engineer edonkey and to write software for that
>   analysis. The software would then go to non-us or even no go
>   anywhere if it does include edonkey support.

If the mldonkeys edonkey author(s) decides to release his source that
would be a concern, but a very small one.

Just look at samba or wine for example. They are in main too. I don't
see a problem there.

MfG
        Goswin

PS: I want a mldonkey.deb. Please just do one and then we can file
bugs against it and fix issuses like the compiler patch. :)