Re: [Mldonkey-users] FYI: News from savannah.nongnu.org

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] FYI: News from savannah.nongnu.org
Date: Sat, 08 Mar 2003 13:41:12 +0100

Leif Sandstede wrote:

"http://savannah.nongnu.org/download/mldonkey/network/";

Anyone knows a mirror ?
It is a nice idea but it does not always work for me anyway so I would not mind if it would be removed. That said I do not think the svannah people would mind one request per client per day we would just have to make sure that it is not more often another ini or addition to downloads.ini would be nice I think.

I don't think so. They made it clear that savannah.nongnu.org is for dev purpose only. mldonkey configuration doesn't have its place here. That was not really a problem when mldonkey was more like an experimental project with few users.

This is not the case anymore : mldonkey is now rather succesfull :

- latest stat I saw on mldonkey clients numbers showed  ~ 30000 clients.
- savannah admins report ~130000 hits /day.

So one client doesn't really hammer the site, but the whole p2p network does.

Wild idea :

What would be really powerfull is a mean to get the configuration from the network itself : mldonkey clients should be able to pass the config between themselves. There should be one central release point (controlled by developpers) which would sign with a private key the latest config and make it available through a protocol extension. Two mldonkeys might then be able to :
- determine which one claims the latest timestamp,
- the one having the oldest downloads the latest if not already downloading one (even if it is older to prevent DoS with high timestamps), - upon succesfull download, it checks the signature with the public key. Ok -> replace config.

-> no big load on a central server.

One client should probably have one free slot to begin negotiating this (uploading the config should take one upload slot).

LB.