Re: [Mldonkey-users] Virus alerts...

From: Lionel Bouton
Subject: Re: [Mldonkey-users] Virus alerts...
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 2004 17:31:30 +0200

Anders Norrbring wrote the following on 03/29/2004 04:51 PM :

I have no idea whatsoever what kind of virus that I'm supposed to send out.
I DO know that neither of my computers are infected by any kind of viruses
though.  So, it's somebody else that uses my e-mail address.

The reason I have for being certain is that my company is a reseller for 4
of the leading AV scanners, and everything on our servers and workstations
are scanned by all four.

Which is less and less effective given the speed of propagation modern worms exhibit. AV scanners' editors can't produce a working signature before a worm has actually infected some systems... Nowadays, the speed is rising so much that even with snappy updates you are under non-negligeable risk (if you use Outlook that is).

But as you said, you are most probably not the source. Nearly every recent worms use a random e-mail fetched from the infected system hard drive when generating the "From" header. Don't bother with this (or you'll spend much of your time doing mails like this) unless someone with poor knowledge of worms complains to you, then explain the above.

Best regards,

Lionel.