Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.17 "release candidate", last call for bugs...

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] 0.17 "release candidate", last call for bugs...
Date: Tue, 08 Mar 2005 11:09:09 +0100

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
Well, it's been a long time coming, but we're very close... as far as
I know, the currently available revision
    6f3b3b46b933acb2a0ffd59c21ce29125d1556f1
would make an acceptable 0.17.  Since it's been so long since the
last release, though, and since 0.17 is going to be a flag day, I'd
really like for it to be usable for people.  So, now would be a good
time to make sure it builds, passes its testsuite, your favorite nasty
bugs are fixed, etc...

Tonight (3 hours before you wote this announcement) I finished one of
the things on my todo list for 0.17: Replace the sqlite3 CVS snapshot by
a known release. So in the sqlite3 branch at
61d2cc2412b253f00a337077007c26abcecbec84 you will find the current
stable sqlite3 release (3.1.3).

Whether or not we should include either the tested December's CVS
snapshot or this release in 0.17 I'm uncertain. It should pass the tests
(currently compiling) and besides some performance problems in the
cvssync branch I don't know of any problems with my last import.

Note that the above is the current head of the
net.venge.monotone.rebuild_tracking branch; this branch is not
compatible with any databases or netsync servers that are currently in
use.  This will all be in the release notes once I write them, but the
short version of getting your database into a form it will like is:
  # if you're using 0.16:
  $ monotone-0.16 --db=foo.db db dump | monotone-0.17 --db=test.db db load
  # if you've been tracking mainline and already switched to sqlite3:
  $ cp foo.db test.db
  # everyone:
  $ monotone-0.17 --db=test.db db migrate
  $ monotone-0.17 --db=test.db db rebuild

You can also run the testsuite with "make check", etc.

(I'd be curious just to know that the above migration stuff happens
without error, and any interesting messages printed during "rebuild",
like about optimizing out edges or splitting file histories.)

I will try to migrate my branches (cvssync & sqlite3) to root at 6f3b
and tell you more about it then.

    Christof