[Monotone-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: monotone 0.17

From: Catalin Marinas
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: ANNOUNCE: monotone 0.17
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2005 11:14:00 +0000

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hmm, no, I don't have a good feel.  As I said, the monotone database
> took something on the magnitude of 3 hours, and that was doing about
> 1150 revisions.  (The time is dependent not on the size of the
> database, but on the number of revisions, and the number of files in
> each manifest... you probably have much bigger manifests.)

The manifest is indeed big, there are around 23400 files and
directories.

> Yes, it's done when "revs out" = "nodes".  So... yeah, sounds like you
> do have a problem :-/.  There are a few things you can do:

I don't use monotone for tracking the kernel development. I just
wanted to do some tests to see how it works with big trees and many
revisions. I'm mainly interested in the branch merging timings. I will
probably re-import the latest changesets from BKCVS.

> You could also hack a version of monotone to not be so careful about
> checking things, but I don't recommend it overly

This would speed things up but, I agree, it is dangerous.

Thanks for your reply.

--
Catalin