Re: [Monotone-devel] Log message file (MT/log) patch

From: Jeremy Cowgar
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Log message file (MT/log) patch
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:47:10 -0800

At Sun, 20 Mar 2005 18:09:52 -0800,
Nathaniel Smith wrote:

> Particular edge cases it would be good to have tests for:
>   - things work smoothly if MT/log doesn't exist
>   - if MT/log is non-empty _and_ the user passes a message on the
>     command line, it should be an error.  (The error message might
>     suggest they can simply delete MT/log if they don't want it, which
>     should work by the above unit test...)
>   - checkout and setup both create MT/log

I added:

tests/t_setup_creates_log.at: Ensures that MT/log is created on setup
tests/t_checkout_creates_log.at: Ensures that MT/log is created on checkout
tests/t_commit_log_1.at: Ensures that MT/log is:
    1. Read and entered as the ChangeLog message
    2. Is blanked after a successful commit
tests/t_commit_log_2.at: Ensures that commit works w/o MT/log being present

I did not yet add the MT/log is non-empty and a --message is supplied
because I wanted to get a bit of input on this. I have and probably
will in the future, been working on something big and a quick bugfix
needs to be done to the production system. Well, I do something like:

$ <fix bug>
$ <test>
$ monotone commit --message="Formatter now handles dates in 010205 format"
src/utils/formatter.py

All the while, my MT/log file is growing in size of all sorts of
changes I made to the working copy to get ready for the next major
feature to the software system.

Anyone else do this? How should we handle this situation?

Jeremy