Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption

From: Michael Neumann
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 19:37:03 +0200

Nathaniel Smith wrote:
On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 11:57:02AM +0100, Joel Crisp wrote:

Is there a reason why this has to be integrated in Monotone rather than using tunneling?

Eh, there are some advantages to integrating it -- ssh tunneling
requires people have logins on the remote box, requires they have ssh
installed, etc.  Effective crypto is mostly crypto that users don't
have to think about...

Thanks for all your answers! Yes, I too think that it is an advantage of having this integrated into Monotone. I'm not sure whether it's one of Monotone's goals (it was one of OpenCM), but if you want replication across multiple (possibly heterogenous) hosts, it has to be integrated, otherwise it's becoming an administrative nightmare.

Regards,

  Michael