Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Transport encryption
Date: Wed, 12 Oct 2005 09:31:34 +0200

Richard Levitte - VMS Whacker schrieb:
> In message <address@hidden> on Tue, 11 Oct 2005 11:57:02 +0100, Joel Crisp
> <address@hidden> said:
>
> jcrisp> Is there a reason why this has to be integrated in Monotone
> jcrisp> rather than using tunneling?
>
> Not really, but we're still waiting for the .ssh branch to be finished
> to make that a viable reality.

The .ssh branch is 'finished' in my eyes. It could use some _additional_
love by

- removing the code duplication between serve_connections and
serve_single_connection. You need to factor out some code/logic into
common subroutines. [I did not do this yet because I simply no longer
need the ssh functionality]

- fixing pipe creation on Win32 (nvm.cvssync.win32). The code is ready
but does simply not work [unit_tests.exe pipe fails with broken pipe
(109)]. I'm at my knowledge's end regarding debugging this under Win32,
using Wine and strace under Linux would be my only option (Why does
Win32 have no strace/ltrace :-( ).

- designing a ssh tunneling option [like address@hidden which
transparently opens a ssh tunnel to the server. This does not
involve/require any code from the .ssh branch. Using the plain ssh
funtionality is not recommended as it starts a separate server for each
client [which means that concurrent access is not possible!]

   Christof