[Monotone-devel] Re: Transport encryption

From: Bruce Stephens
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Transport encryption
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 00:07:45 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

[...]

> We can already do replication across multiple hosts, that are
> heterogenous in any way I can think of, and the replication is
> secure against tampering, man-in-the-middle, and so on -- it's just
> that people could peak at the data while it goes by.

In which case the problems with keys and certificates doesn't have to
be relevant; doesn't TLS have anonymous cipher suites, which can be
used without either end authenticating (and without either having a
certificate)?  In which case that could be used just as an encrypting
wrapper, and the existing monotone protocol can continue to do all the
authentication.

So then we're back to TLS libraries not doing asynchronous I/O (and
not being very convenient to use, which I go along with).  I'm
reasonably sure GNU TLS is intended to support non-blocking I/O; it
surely can't be *that* hard to fix it, if the I/O turns out not to be
quite complete?