Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging cvssync in small pieces: Pipe abstraction

From: Christof Petig
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Merging cvssync in small pieces: Pipe abstraction
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 02:02:43 +0200

Nathaniel Smith schrieb:
> On Fri, Oct 07, 2005 at 12:10:55PM +0200, Christof Petig wrote:
>
>>Hi Nathaniel,
>>
>>I decided to propose merging cvssync in small pieces:
>>- Win32 pipe abstraction
>>- cvs_import and cvssync diff apply code (yet to factor out so that both
>>share the same code,I need to contact Graydon about this) [that's
>>index_deltatext(), struct piece etc., most probably this will mandate a
>>sane scope for the global_pieces variable (rcs_import.cc:307)]
>>- anything ready by then
>

> Hmm, I'm just not clear why you suggest this?  My general preference
> is not to have dead code sitting around mainline, and since none of
> these changes are useful until they all go in... what is gained by
> doing this complicated piecewise landing over just getting the branch
> all in shape and merging it all at once?

Hi Nathaniel,

sorry for answering this late ...

I see two major benefits for this piecewise integration:
- the pipe code is also used by the ssh branch (see different thread)
and might be of use to different projects (spawning a pipe to an
external command is not that uncommon)
- smaller pieces of code are much much easier to review and discuss.

I already talked to Graydon about replacing index_deltatext by a generic
function/class and checked my _initial_ implementation into nvm.cvssync
but I did not tell Graydon yet. Neither did I try to migrate the
rcs_import code to this new class.

  Christof