[Monotone-devel] Re: monotone update does not always update MT/options

From: Wim Oudshoorn
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone update does not always update MT/options
Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 23:19:46 +0200

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> Yep, that's a bug.  I've quickly committed an untested fix to
> 09d27d55f517948148bcdcf8eb16910239ccccf0; any chance you can try that?

Unlikely :-(
I just checked out the source of 09d27 and discovered that
there is no ./configure.
After running aclocal and autoreconfig --install I get the following

aclocal: configure.ac: 47: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
aclocal: configure.ac: 48: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' not found in library
aclocal: configure.ac: 49: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
nelly:~/src/monotone woudshoo$ autoreconf --install
Can't exec "autopoint": No such file or directory at
/usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 288, <GEN0> line 437.
autoreconf: failed to run autopoint: No such file or directory

This makes we want to rant about the whole autoconfig thing.
(Oh and this is not meant to be personal in any way except
for the fact that I personally have some problems with it.)
So rant follows:

<rant>
I really dislike the whole autoconfig stuff.  If it works it is fine,
but if it breaks down it is a nightmare to trackdown and fix.
Too often I have had to spend way to much time debugging some config
scripts.  And also often the config scripts detects something about
the existence of functions and generates the correct config.h, but
the program to be compiled does not use that information.
What is the point???
A simple makefile and config.h file with documented settings would
suite me just fine.  It can even be arranged such that the configure
scripts generates it automatically but a knowledgeable user has
only to set a few values in predefined makefie and config file.
</rant>

Wim Oudshoorn.