Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone update does not always update MT/optio

From: Matthew Gregan
Subject: Re: [Monotone-devel] Re: monotone update does not always update MT/options
Date: Thu, 20 Oct 2005 10:56:01 +1300

At 2005-10-19T23:19:46+0200, Wim Oudshoorn wrote:
> aclocal: configure.ac: 47: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT' not found in library
> aclocal: configure.ac: 48: macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT_VERSION' not found in library
> aclocal: configure.ac: 49: macro `AM_ICONV' not found in library
> nelly:~/src/monotone woudshoo$ autoreconf --install
> Can't exec "autopoint": No such file or directory at
> /usr/share/autoconf/Autom4te/FileUtils.pm line 288, <GEN0> line 437.
> autoreconf: failed to run autopoint: No such file or directory

You need automake >= 1.7, autoconf >= 2.50, and gettext >= 0.11.5.  If you
already have these installed, they may not be the default versions used when
running 'aclocal' and 'automake', etc.  If this is the case, you may need to
rerun autoreconf as follows:

ACLOCAL=aclocal-1.7 AUTOMAKE=automake-1.7 autoreconf --install

You can also add AUTOCONF=autoconf2.59 if your default autoconf is too old.

(Note that this is mentioned in the INSTALL document in the source tree.)

> <rant>
> I really dislike the whole autoconfig stuff.  If it works it is fine,
> but if it breaks down it is a nightmare to trackdown and fix.
> Too often I have had to spend way to much time debugging some config
> scripts.  And also often the config scripts detects something about
> the existence of functions and generates the correct config.h, but
> the program to be compiled does not use that information.
> What is the point???

It's easier than the alternatives.  Let me know when something comes along
that is easier to work with than the auto* tools, and solves the same
problems.  Until then...

> A simple makefile and config.h file with documented settings would
> suite me just fine.  It can even be arranged such that the configure
> scripts generates it automatically but a knowledgeable user has
> only to set a few values in predefined makefie and config file.
> </rant>

That's where the world used to be; either you manually tweaked a config.h,
or used a specific makefile for your configuration, or altered some define
in a makefile.  It's not really a scalable approach for programs that
attempt to be portable across many platforms, and it requires a casual user
who is compiling from source to know _more_ about their particular system.

Cheers,
-mjg
--
Matthew Gregan                     |/