[Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to rosters

From: Tom Koelman
Subject: [Monotone-devel] Re: Poll: another possible problem migrating to rosters
Date: Sat, 19 Nov 2005 14:05:11 +0100

Nathaniel Smith <address@hidden> writes:

> In monotone, it used to be possible to import two totally different
> copies of a project, and then later decide to merge them
> [...]
> My question is: does anyone have such histories out there in the
> wild that they will want to migrate, and if so, can we get details
> on what you have now, so we can figure out what the best solution to
> preserve your history will be?

We have used merging descendends from multiple graph roots for two
different scenarios in the wild:

 - Adding a new file that has been developed independently to an
   existing project, thus preserving both their histories.

 - Because currently there is no sane way to declare a certain branch
   dead, we created a new branch from scratch called "dead" to which
   we propagate branches that we want to get rid of.

If there would be different ways to achieve these goals, I'd sure like
to hear them.

Tom